someone who's never seen the show recently emailed me and asked me why i watch it, and this is what i sent him back:
1. some of the best acting, writing, and directing on tv.
2. i don't particularly like football, or even really understand the game, but they get you so invested in the characters that by the end of game episodes you're jumping out of your seat, rooting for the home team to win.
3. the relationship between kyle chandler and connie britton as the coach and his wife -- it's the most real relationship i've seen on tv in a long time.
4. sexy dudes.
5. hot chicks (if you're into that sorta thing).
6. funny + it pulls at the heart strings like nobody's business (i usually cry at least once an ep).
7. great high school drama AND great adult drama. (i feel like most shows that dip their toes in both worlds usually do one better than the other. like take My So-Called Life: the teen storylines are great, while the parent subplots are usually really annoying.)
8. it's actually about something, it deals with ethics and race and sex and religion, and it doesn't feel preachy.
9. so much heart.